What Are Dreams? What Is Success?

One thing that has really bothered me ever since I started getting into business was the fact that people think that they should just be handed everything on a golden platter. "I've worked hard so I just get this." or "I've done this so I should get that." You know that's not how things work. If you want something you have to go out and get it, and you have to work extremely hard throughout the process. It's one thing to want something, but it's a whole different ballgame when you're actually out on the field playing the game to achieve something.

The first thing I want to touch base on is the concept of money because over the last few years I've really used this thought process to strengthen the meaning of my motto, "just do it"! Money is a piece of paper that controls every aspect of our entire lives. It controls our jobs, the food we eat, the cars we drive, where we live, how big or small our houses are, our relationships with people, where we go to school, and even our health. Why, of all things, does money affect our lives so critically? Why is it that everything we do we base it on how much money we do or don't have? I've always been one to be conscious of money, but I've never let it stop me from doing something I know I'll enjoy. Attending Full Sail for starters. Do you think I can afford Full Sail? Hell no. Will everything work out in the end? Absolutely. I'm sure of it. I know for a fact that I am going to be successful in whatever I choose to do with my career, which leads me to my next topic: success. 

How do I know that I'm successful? First of all, I have an extremely supportive family. I always have and I always will. They've been with me through each and every one of my endeavors, and I can't thank them enough for that, but that's not the only thing that determines whether or not I'm successful. Previous life experiences is another way that I gauge success. How? I'm currently nineteen years old and I can not thing of a single moment where I regret not doing something. If there was something that I wanted to do, I did it, and I'm glad that I did. A life full of regrets is not one that's been fulfilled, in my opinion. I had the opportunity to run two successful businesses in Barnesville: A lawn care service and photography service. I learned so much while running those businesses, and I will use that information and those skills that I learned for the rest of my life. I've always wanted to run and own my own business, so I started two because it's what I wanted to do. If I wouldn't have started those businesses I would've had a lot of regrets. Trust me.

Before I started at Full Sail I read tons and tons of reviews because I wanted to make sure that Full Sail was the right school for me; I wanted to get other people's opinions so I wouldn't become biased towards it; and I wanted to hear the pros/cons of the school so I knew what I should stay away from or how I should approach certain aspects of the school. Upon reading many, many negatives reviews I slowly got turned away, but I stumbled upon so many positive reviews that I eventually caved in and just decided to go with it. (Keep in mind that a huge percentage of the negative reviews about Full Sail are either dropouts who couldn't handle the workload or they're a graduate that hasn't done anything with their education.) I knew that Full Sail was expensive. I knew that Full Sail would be tough. I knew that Full Sail would be time consuming, however, none of these things slowed me down as I always had this gut feeling that Full Sail would be the only school that would take my dreams and aspirations seriously, and their motto says just that: "If you're serious about your dream, we'll take your dream seriously." We all have dreams that we want to pursue, but we don't have the time, money, or resources to get that dream rolling. I've never been one to sit around and wait for things to come to me. I always chase what I believe to be right, especially if it's a dream of mine.

Quite a few of the negative reviews that I read before I began at Full Sail were along the lines of, "I graduated 5 years ago and I still don't have a job." So, it's the school's job to give you a job immediately after graduation? It's the school's job to start and run a successful business for you? And lastly, it's the school's problem that you didn't learn anything? Throughout your time here, you are given plenty of opportunities to better yourself and your skills. It's up to you to utilize them. There are tons and tons of events that also occur here. It's up to you to sign up and attend them as that is what the industry is like. All of your available resources are there, but you must figure out why, how, and when to use them. 

I see far too many people get caught up in the fact that they're going to school (Full Sail especially) and that they're going to get a degree eventually. A degree is a piece of paper that shows that you've committed to something for a certain period of time. (Yes, it also says that you've learned this and that, but for the most part, it states that you've committed to something.) Often times employers don't even care that you have a degree, especially if you're in the entertainment/music industry. Why? They're looking for your experience. You say that you can mix and master a track, but can you really? Take a look at how many people consider themselves "musicians" these days. Look at how many people produce electronic music. It's becoming easier and easier to write music effectively and efficiently. I learned how to produce electronic music solely from watching hours and hours of YouTube videos. There are people of all ages that have learned how to produce music digitally solely from reading blogs and watching hours and hours of YouTube videos. The fact of the matter is that if I really, really wanted to, I could find a job sometime, somewhere doing something that has to do with music based on the stuff that I already know. There are instructors at Full Sail who don't have college degrees. They have years and years of experience and that's good enough for some people. 

As I mentioned before, I'm not one to sit around and twiddle my thumbs. If I really, really want something, I'm going to go out and do whatever it takes to get it. For example, it's been a dream of mine to own a Mercedes. Yes, a Mercedes. Yes, they're expensive and yes, it might take me awhile to get one, but eventually I will have one. I've always been one to live by the phrase, "Keep your goals high, but your dreams higher". Well, owning a Mercedes is a big dream of mine, so I'm goin' for it! And I strongly believe that attending Full Sail is a big step in the right direction for me in achieving this goal of mine. 

My message to you: No matter how big or small your dream is, go for it. Do not let anyone ever stop you from doing it. A life filled with regrets is a life that will go unfulfilled. Also, remember that money is a piece of paper, so don't let it control and run your life. Do what you love and love what you do! 

I wish you all the best in chasing your dreams, 

Lennon
Student
Bachelor of Science, Music Production
About Unknown

Yes, I'm named after John Lennon. I'm currently attending Full Sail University to obtain a Bachelor's degree in Music Production. "Position yourself as the only logical choice." -Demo Castellon

0 comments:

Post a Comment